Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.


It has been awhile since I blogged.  Three weeks ago, I got home from a wonderful vacation in South America (Argentina & Brazil) with my good friend Theresa.  

My travel partner and bestie from 5th grade

What started out as a few empanadas here and there snowballed in to off-roading with a side of wine at every meal.  In two of the three locations breakfast was included and an easy protein and fat meal, while the third was coffee and three croissants (per person).  Not sure who needs three croissants but rest assured, they came with a side of dulche de leche (caramel).  By the end of the trip, I had thrown in the towel and had full on sugar cravings dipping said croissants in to the caramel (let's call it what it is) as the start to my day.  I was on vacation, I deserved to indulge is the mantra I had in my head.  I did try to keep the off roading in control a bit with the exception of the Buenos Aires breakfast.  I tried to keep my  ordering to meat and potatoes at most meals instead of pasta and heavy cheese things.  I did however, order this (see below) and it was 100% worth the off road as it was delicious to sample the local flavors and a true over dose on empanadas.

Empanadas with a variety of fillings

Fast forward to arriving back in the states.  No food in the fridge, exhausted from the red eye flight home from Buenos Aires and the next few days got really tricky.  I would actually make the statement that it is easier to eat healthier in South America.  Left to my own devices in America, when I look back over the last few weeks I have been drinking WAY more than is helpful to my goals and eating Pad Thai and Fries has become a bit more of a rule than an exception.  Time to re-evaluate and reel it in.  I am extremely happy with the progress I have made thus far, when people compliment me on my weight loss, I am humbled and excited but there is more work to do.

Towards the end of my time down south, I was thinking and preparing to do another Whole30 when I returned home.  Based on the last paragraph we know that didn't happen, after about a week of slipping back in to my old ways, few noodle orders here and there, wine after work most nights, and candy at work (GASP!), I refocused, I have fat loss goals that I am still working towards and these behaviors are not what will get me there.  Once sugar works its way back in, it's hard for me to battle the cravings.  

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know my strong belief is that it all starts with food. Cooking has become a therapeutic thing that I enjoy, but also helps me stay on track and eat flavorful delicious food.  I did some internet research on some new recipes to get me back in the mood and also started reading and cooking along with TheKitchn.  This publication is offering a 20 lessons in 20 days cooking school (online), that you have homework for each night.  It has helped me break out of my funk of being bored with eating the same things.  I am also learning some new techniques.  I want to love the food I am eating every day, and focus on it's deliciousness not obsess about what I can't have.

Chophouse rubbed Salmon with Garlic & Oil Zoodles


Crockpot Chicken with Root Veggies

Another key learning for me to getting back on track is not to have back to back days with offroading.  Consistency is key for me, and weekends that consist of Saturday and Sunday "cheat meals" will flow in to Monday.  As I refocus on my goals, I am going to try and not drink during the week and let exception foods be that.  It is no secret that I love Wine but that drinking it multiple times a week is inhibiting my decisions and fat loss.

All this to say, I am recommitted to the process. The goals remain the same, I have been eating healthier the past week and a half and hitting the crossfit regularly.  More to come on that in a separate post.






















No comments:

Post a Comment