Saturday, September 20, 2014

Don't cry for me Argentina



YUM

Boca area of Argentina



Dorking out on the hop on hop off bus


Creepy Cemetery 


Flower Sculpture


Evita's Grave

We arrived in Buenos Aires mid day yesterday. Many people we encountered in Mendoza spoke of BA as the concrete jungle. I would equate it to how eastern long islanders refer to the NYC. Everywhere I turn in this city is a green park it's lovely. On first impression it is definitely fast paced. My travel companion is thrilled as great coffee has been lacking on this trip and we have located at least three Starbucks. Cafe Americano Por favor. It is not customary in Argentina to take coffee to go, if we didn't look like tourists already we have a beacon now in a paper cup.

Living in NYC gives you a certain perspective when you visit other cities. Having lived for a
short time in Chicago (definitely the second city), Hong Kong (comparable to NYC but with an Asian flare), and visited countless other cities it is hard not to make a comparison to NYC when you arrive in a new place. It's what I know. I am enjoying Buenos Aires, I didn't want this trip to be all cities as I always picture vacation time as a relaxation away from the hustle. However the three locations thus far have been a balance of culture, excitement and relaxation.

Since leaving Rio the language barrier has been a bit less. Eight years of Spanish class is helping me at least eat well, find the restroom and buy train tickets. Our hotel here in BA is budget but safe. We spent the day playing tourists on the hop on hop off bus getting acclimated to the city. I actually think I may do one in New York in the spring, I could probably learn a thing or two about my own city. 

As someone who lived in Asia for several months, I think I would like living here even more. The cuisine suits me better and my Spanish is much stronger than my Cantonese. Just ask the lady who used to do my laundry in Causeway bay it still makes me chuckle. That's a story for another day. Honestly though as seen in the pic above the empanadas are outstanding and you could eat steak at every meal....or am I...hmm no not every meal!

It has been over a week since I thought about anything to do with workThis experience away without access to my work email is making me reminiscent of my time in Costa Rica (where I may need to live on day) and excited to have 3 weeks vacation starting in January. 

Off to enjoy a delicious Malbec in this carefree vacation state I am in.

Where is the best place you have ever traveled to?

No comments:

Post a Comment