Monday, September 15, 2014

13 years, 1 Day, 9-11-343

"You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this tragedy." - Colin Powell

One day

Yesterday was the 13th anniversary of 9/11. 13 years certainly does fly by in an instant. As I write this post I am thinking of all the memories from the past 13 years. It's been a wild ride filled with ups and downs.

 On September 11th,  2001 I was working at a private equity firm as an assistant, I knew it wasn't a career as I was just passing time till my real job started in the fall. It was the type of place where all the bosses were men and they all had cute assistants fetching lunch and fielding calls from multiple girlfriends each day. The whole day was so surreal, the sky was so blue, I was early to work and when one of the analysts told me a plane had hit the first tower I told him "you of course are joking". A few days later I was on a plane to Europe  on a whim to go visit my college friends job in the rearview mirror. Everyone sees enough of the play by play each 9/11 we don't need a recap of what happened on this blog.

Fast forward a year 2002, I was signing up to be a Greenwich Volunteer firefighter. A way to give back to the community and meet people. I certainly met some awesome folks, and challenged myself physically and mentally through fire one. Volunteering has always been a big part of my life, but this was even more special.

2003, Not an eventful 9/11 in the grand scheme. Several people at work (IRI) lost loved ones it helps you keep things in perspective. The thoughts on the day are still very fresh.

2004, I am traveling for work on September 11th. It seems surreal again to be traveling on such a day of memorial. In 2004, I travelled weekly to very glamorous destinations (Rochester, Cincinnati, etc...)with Georgia pacific. I don't remember where this trip was too but I remember feeling eery, people in the city I was in just didn't seem to take it as seriously.

2005, I am at Beiersdorf reunited with my friends from IRI. I stay at home to watch the names being read for a later arrival to work. Being in Connecticut there is still a huge effect of the day on coworkers.

2006, traveling again for work this time it is less eery as time has passed. Strange still to be away from NY on such an important day

2007, my grandmother passed away shortly before this 9/11 and I was supposed to take the GMAT for business school. I spent the morning watching the names and then final preparation for the GMAT.

2008, first semester of business school. I am in a room of 80 people from all over the world. I am I the early morning cohort. No one seems to care that it is just after 8:30 (the time around the first plane) if I'm being honest it was beyond weird.

2009, 2nd year if bschool no early classes. I spend the morning reading 9/11 stories and memories.

2010, new business school graduate, living in Rogers, Arkansas working on the Walmart account. I am living amongst other east coasters and it finally become clear to me that memories fade quicker if you experienced it virtually as most of my colleagues in this office did.

2011, newly off rotation at Colgate, I am in my full time Associate
Role on Powered toothbrushes. 4 years in the making, I'm a marketer. I am getting to work around 8 these days, and 9/11 is no exception. I check out the light pillars from a distance after work. It's the 10 year anniversary and there is a large amount of coverage. It makes me feel better to be back in the east coast there is definitely much more remembrance here and while hard I feel it's right.

2012, back in the New York swing of things, last year being the 10 year anniversary this year seems subdued. I watch the names for a bit and then head off to work.


2013, watched the names on tv and then leisurely made my way in to the office. I definitely have an aversion to rushing in to the office early  on 9/11.

As I mentioned in the beginning time flies by. Even more so when you think of all that has happened each yeah on this one day. This year, 2014 work is busy, I am straddling the base and innovation departments at work. I have also developed quite the crossfit habit. If I could describe my life most days are work, crossfit, work, sleep with a sprinkle of eating, socializing and dating. I participated in the 9/11 memorial workout at the gym. (Insert pic). Very challenging workout, but that's what builds results and makes you stronger willed.

The workout was a partner workout, with Burpees (the devil), front squats (the devils cousin), jerks (not the kind I usually date the over head ones), and back squats. For a girl with tight hips and weak ankles if the back squat is the easiest part you know it's challenging. Great workout, love that it was a memorial workout, crossfit has done so much for me, including making me love working out despite being insanely busy at work.

To wrap this post up, 9/11 is a day that most people can say they will never forget. I often find myself thinking about sidesteps and other decisions in life and how that has changed the course of history (arriving to work late, ending a relationship that isn't right for you, or starting a healthy routine). What would the alternative be to the choice chosen. I am sure many who lost friends and family that day have similar thoughts. I will end this post by saying that over the last 6 months being grateful and appreciating all of the good things in life has helped me to be happier. I can only imagine how hard that is for those who lost a loved one. 9/11 each year is always a somber day for me where I think of those we lost that day and those we are still losing. God bless America.




No comments:

Post a Comment