Friday, September 19, 2014

Six Months a Stranger

“Hearts are breakable," Isabelle said. "And I think even when you heal, you're never what you were before".” ― Cassandra ClareCity of Fallen Angels


View of the Andes from Mendoza




Morning wine pour, Rose' please


This guy was so stinkin adorable even before he let me sample from this drum of wine



The Wine being Stored


Sparkling Wine stored in a Champagne fashion



Taste testing



When I look back at 2013, I have fond memories of a time when I was doing a #365 check out my Instagram (k_roses), cutting down my own Christmas tree, perfecting a resume that wasn't mine, touring Austin, TX, camping in a backyard on the cape in homemade tie dye and taking in the heat and music at Coachella. 2013 was a year when friends tell me I seemed incredibly happy. While hindsight is 20/20 I was "happy" whatever that means. From the vantage point of 6 months, the way I view life has fundamentally changed. I am more focused on what makes me happy, and focused on removing what doesn't. I no longer do things just to do them or because that's what's expected. The back half of 2014 has been about strengthening my relationship with those that make me my best self. I look back on 2013 and early 2014 as an experience that I learned from. Isn't that what everything in life is? 
Let me first say that I underestimated how much I would miss the gym on this trip. I am savoring every moment of relaxing but weirdly craving a wod. This is where I have thoughts of "who am I?" The girl that used to struggle to get out if bed every morning for a forced torturous cardio session missing working out while on vacation?!?!? 

I am of course finding a way to cope, September 19th finds me finishing up four fantastic days in Mendoza, Argentina. As someone who loves wine this place is perfect. Theresa and I signed up for two days worth if wine touring in two different regions. The long van rides allow for a lot of reflection in between tastings.

The first region shows Mendoza's history, older vines, beautiful vineyard with a distant back drop of the Andes. I am surprised to learn that Mendoza while know for Malbec has some fairly impressive Cab franc and Sauvignon. I am officially in love with this place. There is one woman in particular the Benegasi winery who I 100% want to be when I am old. She is carefree, enjoying life and stylishly dressed. The vineyard tours are extensive and make me want to leave my corporate job and move to Mendoza tomorrow. A girl can dream right? 

The second day is in the Uco Valley. Much higher elevation, closer to the Andes and more Icon wines as they are called in Mendoza. The tastings are better, we met the wine maker at the final vineyard which was a nice treat even if he had a bit of an ego. Our guide the second day made us traditional Mate, which is a caffeine herb that is what locals drink. It has a reputation of being bitter, you can see Theresa drinking it from a filter straw in the pictures. It won't be replacing coffee but I'm glad I got to try it.

Words can not describe how beautiful Mendoza is or how delicious the wine tastes. View the pictures for some sensory overload but I highly encourage you to visit should you get the opportunity.

Traveling with Theresa my childhood friend has been delightful. It is a good balance of deep thoughtful conversation and quiet reflective time where we do our own thing. We are off to Buenos Aires for the final leg of the trip. Hasta Luego for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment