"Injuries obviously change the way you approach the game." - Brett Favre
I nursed my embarrassment and my ankle and knee on the way home. As a person who is no stranger to falling in public (I once fell down the stairs at the E train stop on 53rd street), it never gets less embarrassing or less painful. This one was particularly bad and I promptly put my Crossfit membership on hold to nurse my ankle and knee back to health.
Twisted my Ankle, decent pedicure
During my off time, things were busy at work (New Role) so I was distracted enough but definitely missed the gym. The past two weeks have shown me how far I have come with the habit of working out. It is more than just physical exertion, it has a strong affect on me mentally. Injuries in life come in all forms, and the last two weeks made me realize how much I was nursing my bad breakup by going to the gym over the last months. Having that activity and stability available every day helped propel me to be happier and stronger. Taking two weeks off has definitely been hard and some residual sadness has definitely crept back in.
When I first hurt myself, I tried to keep positive and focus on what I could control. Eating of course. The first week was business as usual with food prep and healthy meals. Then Fire Island with the girls happened. The eating stayed on track for the most part, I prepped some food for the weekend and also enjoyed an occasional Nutella spoonful and of course copious amounts of Rocket Fuels and Wine.
When I first hurt myself, I tried to keep positive and focus on what I could control. Eating of course. The first week was business as usual with food prep and healthy meals. Then Fire Island with the girls happened. The eating stayed on track for the most part, I prepped some food for the weekend and also enjoyed an occasional Nutella spoonful and of course copious amounts of Rocket Fuels and Wine.
Why does Funny Face = Mouth Open?
Upon my return from Fire Island things have been slipping, which annoys me because I was so strict during the vaca weekend. I think letting a few cheats in over the weekend (Nutella, Garlic Bread, Rocket Fuels) has awakened the sugar monster. Coupled with stress at work and I am wanting to eat everything that I don't usually have any interest in eating. The other night after a particularly tough day at work and a late night of drinking I got pizza on the way home. There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating pizza, however the quickest way to fall back in to old habits is to make food choices that aren't worth it and make me feel awful. I self identify "not worth it" as Pizza eaten past 12am alone in my apartment. Tonight I really wanted to order Thai but that is definitely falling back in to old habits. The other element at play here is that due to craziness at work, I haven't food shopped so I am working off of a limited pantry. Off roading happens with healthy eating, I am trying not to internalize it and just make better choices the next day.
Yesterday I went back to Crossfit after a 2 week hiatus. I was excited to get back to working out, to see my friends and of course burn off calories and stress. The Workout was challenging:
30 Min AMRAP
5 Pull Ups
7 Push Ups
10 Situps
12 Squats
I am glad my 1st workout back wasn't a lot of lower body, it felt good to sweat again and I mentally started to clear my head from the last two weeks. I was extremely careful not to put too much stress on my ankle and to listen to my body and understand it's limitations. I got 11 rounds in, which was a great workout. I felt like my squat was deeper than it had been two weeks ago.
I can't believe we are approaching Labor Day Weekend already. Tomorrow is 2 months till I turn 35, time to start thinking about plans and goals I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment