Monday, November 10, 2014

Run like you stole something

"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it.-Oprah Winfrey

Last weekend was the NYC marathon. Running and I do not have a love/hate relationship we have a hate relationship.  I was never a big fan of the mile in high school that we had to run for the presidential fitness test.  I "ran track" in high school, but that was because I had to join a sport and thought that was the least painful option.  To this day,  I even groan when it's part of the warm up at CFNYC, and even 400 meters is too much for me.  For the past 3 years I have spent marathon day trying to be the greatest spectator for my friends and family who were running the marathon. This year, Jessica, Brent and my Aunt Grace were running.

Jessica and Brent a couple I truly admire as being true partners in life.  I also call them my adult friends. (picture stolen from FB) 

Grace on the right with her husband Todd. Picture stolen from FB where there were no pictures of her running wish I had snapped one day of.


I planned to do some sober spectating this year which is slightly different from previous years. I may have overdid it a bit at the Halloween festivities on Friday so gave the liver a break for the rest of the weekend.  

Hitting the open bar before the step and repeat doesn't lead to a good photo for the pirate, spaceman and Medusa.

I love marathon day, it is very inspiring to see everyone run by and give it their all, knowing they have put months of training in to get to this point.  Watching each run makes me want to personally say their name when the run by.  It's also interesting to me what charity people are representing, and if not a charity shirt what they choose to wear for the big day.


Cheering on Jessica and Brent before the 30k mark. While I didn't end up seeing either of them (very disappointing), I did get a lot of street cred for my sign from the runners.



With my sister instagram fame theotherkroses, waiting to see Grace run by at mile 18.

I am honored to know as many marathon runners as I do. While it's a small percentage of people in the world who actually have completed a marathon I certainly over index in friends/family and acquaintances that have run 26.2 miles.  Does that mean I hang out with athletic types, or is it just the area of the country I live in?

As I mentioned earlier, marathon day always inspires me, it makes me feel like I can be a runner. Usually I am usually a few drinks in at that point so while I can't run a mile without stopping my mind is racing toward the finish line of 26.2.  

Somewhere in between these two things

I will say that while I am not training for a marathon, and don't plan to be in the near future. I am looking to make and work towards lifting goals.  Allison, the friend I credit with getting me in to this healthy lifestyle has been saying this to me week after week and it has finally hit me.  While fat loss is my ultimate goal I think it would be fun to train towards a strong-woman competition or some other type of weight competition.  I think it would give me something to work towards instead of just going through the motions at each WOD.  

What the heck is this thing? I plan to find out.

Until I find something I am interested in training in you will find me trying to perfect my Oly lifts at CFNYC (front squat here I come). In addition to thinking about competitions, I am throwing around the idea of investing in weight lifting shoes, not sure I am ready for that kind of commitment to the sport of fitness but time will tell.

Cheers to all the runners who finished the New York Marathon, I stand in awe of your accomplishment!







1 comment: