Thursday, December 25, 2014

What are your hobbies?


The fast slide from Thanksgiving to December 31st seems to have gone even faster than usual this year. As I sit (gotta get here early people) on a standing room only train to Long Island I am reflecting (as I tend to do) on 2014.  In March 2014 could not have ended quicker from my perspective. Life had changed directions so suddenly I was caught off guard and unprepared. However when I look back on 2014, I would not title it a bad year but a year in which I found balance and gasp hobbies!


I went to business school with a guy who was always asking me what my hobbies were. I found him strange and interesting all at the same time. To be fair I didn't have hobbies at the time, I studied, networked withcompanies in order to get a job, drank competitively  and slept. At the time I brushed it off and even made acomment to my then roommate Julie about how weird it was that he was always asking me that.



Fast forward to 2014, in search of happiness I found out three things.


Gratitude is a huge part of feeling and being happy. If you are reading this and feeling down I encourage you to write down three things that you are grateful for before bed each night.



Relationships whether they are friendships, familyships (hmm is that a word), or romantic relationships take work and the ones you invest time in should be worth it. Big thank you to everyone who was team Kelly in 2014. I hope to be that person for you one day should you need it!



Friendsgiving Selfie Stick



Cloisters 

Finally hobbies, once thought to be trivial and something I loathed talking about on dates are in reality what makes you a well rounded human. How did it take me till 34 to realize this? I think on some level I always had interests but I kept them at an arms length. I tried many new things in 2014, crocheting (sorry gram couldn't hack it), yoga (the last straw here was that guy that asked me on a second date to hot yoga), running (just
couldn't get around it mentally) and of course skiing which may never be for me but I do continue to try despite all the tears. The things that did stick are cooking, crossfit, and wine.



Side Profile Pic of me cooking

I get excited by each new thing I learn to cook. I am tackling harder recipes each week. I made a delicious butternut squash soup last week. It's easy to see progress here and I tend to like things I excel at (which is why I hate skiing).


In terms of crossfit I could dedicate a whole separate post to this. I will leave it at the fact that I continue to be excited and challenged each time I go to the box.


I plan to do more of all three of this things hobbies in 2015. I also plan to work on relationships with those important in my life because no matter how well rounded of a human you are with your so called hobbies having people to share life's journey with is important.








No comments:

Post a Comment