"Believe you can and you're halfway there." - Teddy Roosevelt
I am at the halfway mark of the 30 days. The Whole30 as a reminder is essentially a Paleo reset where you eat things that make you feel good and steer away from things that make you feel not so good. The not so good in this case can be anything, skin issues, stomach issues, headaches, tiredness, or inability to get up in the morning or just that general "ugh" feeling.
Whole 30 restricts - grains, dairy, legumes, sugar, alcohol, and
additives (MSG, Carrageenan). I know exactly what you are thinking, this
list is so restrictive what do you eat? And
even more importantly how do you have any fun?
Below are some thoughts I have captured at the half way point
some of which address both of those thoughts.
For the most part having strict rules makes
things easier. This is my second Whole30
so I knew somewhat what to expect. The “rules”
are very clear cut and make it easy to say no to any temptations. For instance two examples that I have a hard
time saying no to on a regular basis get an instant no during the whole30….Candy
on the counter at work (NO), glass of wine at going away happy hour (NO). For
me there is a certain amount of simplicity in this as it’s very black and
white.
- It is easier this time than it was last time. When I started my last Whole30 it was in April I had support but not as much as I do this round. I am also a much better cook. In addition I eat “clean or paleo” most of the time anyway so I don’t struggle with giving up cream in my coffee or some of the other little things that I abandoned earlier in 2014. Side note I prefer my coffee black add a bit of cinnamon and call it a day.
- I actually enjoy cooking now (a year ago, I barely cooked Mac and Cheese from a box). I find myself hunting through the interwebs and cookbooks for recipes I can adapt. I have stuck to my rule of cooking one new thing a week which continues to add variety. If you hate to cook the Whole30 would be MUCH more challenging.
- My cravings have disappeared. I am 15 days in and while I would love to have a glass of wine or chunk of chocolate I don’t find myself craving it from the depths of my inside. Sure I think about it a bit but it’s not an insatiable craving.
- Sleeping is something I love even outside of the Whole30, however unlike other productive members of society I prefer to stay up late and white knuckle the getting up portion in the morning. I am a HUGE fan of the snooze button. About 3 days ago, I started getting up easier when the alarm goes off, this is directly related to being able to fall asleep around 10:30. Something about the whole30 tends to regulate my circadian rhythm and I wake up feeling way more energized. By next week I expect to start waking up before my alarm.
- I will not lie it is challenging to socialize on the Whole30. Big thank you to all those I have spent time with for enjoying my company enough to put up with my questioning of waiters, drinking club soda and being THAT GIRL who makes substitutions. I am not being a complete hermit, even though it would be way easier.
- I may be slightly addicted to the CFNYC Crossfit group as it is a go to place to see how everyone is fairing, what they are making. I find having an outlet makes me happy because the Whole30 has a predictable timeline and knowing that others are going through the same things is helpful.
- I have discovered two products that I didn’t use last time. RX Bars when I am out and about without homemade food or a good food choice at a bar are amazing. http://www.rxbar.com/ they are made with very few ingredients and I am actually considering making some homemade ones in the future. They aren’t meant as a dessert replacement more of a safety net when you are on the run. The second is Tessamaes Buffalo sauce, also very few ingredients and 100% delicious for making chicken less boring. http://www.tessemaes.com/
- Truth be told I was on a bit of a spiral in December with Christmas candy. Between treats and work and staying at my parents for a few nights I was worried that it would creep in to 2015. I have never been a big resolutions person so the Whole30 is a good reset to get my eating in order as I have short and long term goals for 2015.
- I am already planning for Superbowl and the reintroduction as of today. Did somebody say WINE?
Below is what I have been cooking as of recent.
1 – Upper Left – Thai Basil Chicken using Coconut Aminos
2. Upper Right – Mahi Mahi with Cauliflower Mash and Bacon
3. Bottom Left – Mahi Mahi with Zoodles
4. Bottom Right – Cinnamon Baked Carrots
Let's hope the next 15 days are as streamlined and easy as the first.
No comments:
Post a Comment