“Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.” ~ Anthony Robbins
I have recently been looking for volunteer opportunities in the NYC area. While I explore something that would be a good fit for me and my interests longer term, I have been looking for one off opportunities to do good things and feel happy. This past weekend, I had the privilege to participate in a crossfit charity work out of the day. The workout benefited Cystic Fibrosis which if you are not familiar below is a brief description.
Cystic fibrosis is a disease passed down through families that causes thick, sticky mucus to build up in the lungs, digestive tract, and other areas of the body. It is one of the most common chronic lung diseases in children and young adults. It is a life-threatening disorder.
A close family friend, has a daughter living with CF. That made this workout even more important, many family members had done the official CF walk a few weeks ago out on Long Island but I wasn't able to attend. When I saw that this was happening, I quickly signed up. I got up very early on Saturday to jump on the LIRR at 8:38am, to get out to Long Island with plenty of time as I didn't know what to expect. I invited a friend who grew up in my neighborhood who happens to be the older sister of my childhood bff to do the workout with me as I new she had done crossfit in the past, and I thought it would be less intimidating with company. It was slightly less intimidating with company so thank you Jen.
The Crew after the workout. Me, Victoria & Jen.
The workout was a tough one for sure. All of the female named Crossfit workouts are very difficult and "Victoria" named after the lovely lady above for the Charity workout was no exception. Let's be honest for a minute, any workout that has Burpees is going to be tough.
Jen and I both went in the first heat as there were at least 40 people at a time and only 12 could go at a time. A suburban Crossfit gym is a bit different from CrossfitNYC, as there is a smaller population and I would say the perception at least was that 90% were in amazing shape. The average short length for women can be showcased in the photo below. If you are wearing shorts of this length you are in amazing shape as you are showing it off.
Photo Sourced from The Crossfit Games
Regardless of how intimidating the members at this box were, I kept in mind that you only compete against yourself and had a great workout. Power snatching is not my favorite, but I did the best I could, put in a strong workout and was done before noon. All in all a good experience, that raised over $1000 for Cystic Fibrosis and hopefully one day that will benefit this little angel who also did the workout in heat 2 so I had an opportunity to cheer her on.
Victoria doing the Victoria WOD she was quite impressive even pre-workout
Not that I am competitive, but Victoria beat me on rounds, you go girl!
Thank you to Crossfitlindy for hosting and to the Gills for inviting me to participate, dropping in to other Crossfit boxes can be very daunting. I am learning that all boxes are different and that I love the one I workout at which is important as I am spending a lot of time there.






No comments:
Post a Comment