I have created a top 10 list of things I have learned in the first week of Whole30, many of the things will not be amazingly new but it's good to document them for when I look back as I race towards day 30.
#10 - It is hard to make plans with people when you aren't drinking. Something is weird about calling a friend and saying "hey do you want to get a drink, and by drink I mean I will watch you drink." Your personality really needs to be on point to be social and not drink. Additionally, if meeting up with people who have known you forever is strange because you are going for tea instead of martinis, meeting up with new friends or dates who don't know you is even weirder. As my sister said this afternoon, "We should go to the Smorgasbord in Brooklyn, you know when you are back on the wagon...."
#9 - Vegetables cooked in bacon are delicious. This one clearly doesn't need a long explanation.
#8 - While going home to visit family is helpful for the soul do not have expectations of people being on board with the Whole30. I have learned over the last 5 weeks that I have an amazing support network and the people who align themselves to Team Roses are topnotch. However they also want what's best for you and that includes offering forcing ravioli, fried chicken and copious amounts of birthday cake on you in the most loving way possible. My grandmother does not understand how someone could come to dinner and not eat the dinner provided but bring their own food, she was quite offended.
#7 - Variety is important when you are limited in the food groups you are noshing on, I have found several amazing blogs http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/ and http://wwjme.com/ as two delicious examples that have helped me keep the menu interesting.
#6 - Club soda with olives is a tasty alternative at the bar, it's not Malbec and it's not Vodka but it's tasty in it's own right.
#5 - Rest days from the gym are not only imperative but not optional. On Saturday AM I was signed up for a Crossfit class but was completely sore from the class the night before. Listening to your body is one of the most important parts of this process not only with food but with exercise as well, taking Saturday off was glorious and my body feels recovered from all those Kettle Bell Swings.
#4 - Breakfast is definitely the undisputed most important meal of the day, in the last 7 days consuming a larger breakfast always seems to make the day easier and more balanced. I used to jump out of bed and race to get ready for work maybe grabbing an oatmeal at the office. I still not by any means a morning person but I am working on incorporating eating more for my first meal and that requires cooking at home before leaving for the office.
#3 - Getting to know your butcher is very helpful, I have always been someone who just pulls a few chicken breast packages from the case and continues shopping, chatting with the butcher helps you get even more creative with your cooking. It helps that my butcher happens to be extremely friendly and adorable.
#2 - Eating out is extremely difficult, I do not want to be as high maintenance as the Whole30 requires but I also don't want to sabotage the work I have put in. Telling the server that you can't eat Gluten, Soy, Dairy....etc is not easy and you end up settling on safe options like steak prepared without butter. Making food at home is MUCH easier and less stressful.
#1 - Having support while doing the Whole30 is important, people are adverse to change in general so knowing that there is a group of people also going through what you are going through is ideal. You can bounce ideas off of each other, and just chat when you are at low points in the process.
Bring on week #2!
Bring on week #2!


No comments:
Post a Comment