Friday, April 25, 2014

Kill All Things also known as Day 4-5

In case you are behind on reading I am doing a Whole30.


Why you ask?  Well overall to be healthier,  I have always had skin issues and would love to be in better shape and the more I read about the Whole30, I thought it would be a challenge and I am always up for a good challenge.  Here is the link to the Whole30 again in case you are curious.

On the timeline, I am for better or worse right where I am supposed to be in the "Kill All Things Phase".




The human brain is quite smart and when you tell it that it can't have something it's never very happy.  For me that something is Wine and Cheese.


Everyone I have spoken to and everything I have read, states that he first week is the hardest, so I am greatly looking forward to waking up on Monday AM as a new person, that may be a bit optimistic but hope is what keeps you going in the beginning.  The cravings aren't that bad, but there is definitely a dull headache that has been present since Monday night, I consider it a reminder that I am doing something healthy for myself but I would being lying if I said I didn't want it to disappear.  

You may be curious if I haven't been out drinking all the drinks and eating all the cheese, what have I been doing?  The answer to that is avoiding all the drinks and cheese.  In all seriousness though when you are cranky about what you can't consume you need to focus on what you can consume.  Earlier in the week, I met a good friend for tea after work.  Which on the surface tea after work seems strange, because we usually drink and eat fried foods (Calamari not Corn Dogs my diet wasn't that bad) when we meet up, but I enjoy her company and that's why we meet up so it shouldn't about what we are consuming.  We had fun meeting up and catching up on what's been happening in both of our lives, we had a lot to update each other on so I didn't miss the lack of alcohol.

In addition to socially drinking tea which as I type it I realize how lame that sounds, I have been focusing on cooking and finding delicious recipes that fit the Whole30.  Variety is the spice of life, I believe is how the saying goes, and I am trying my hardest not to get bored.  This week my main proteins were Salmon, Chicken Breast and Beef, cooked in a variety of ways (Baked, Broiled, Bacon Wrapped).  I found cooking things on Sunday to be helpful to prep for the week as work, working out and socializing often lead to ordering in less healthy food which isn't an option during the Whole30.  A few things I have whipped up in the kitchen this week are below, I am new to cooking and still working on my technique but overall everything is edible and with a bit of planning I find I am successful.


Garlic & Oil String Beans 
Step 1 - Snap off the ends of the String Beans and Wash them
Step 2 - Steam them with a bit of water in a pan
Step 3 - Add Coconut Oil & Chopped Garlic and Saute
Step 4 - Eat and/or Store for later consumption


Roasted Eggplant 
Step 1 - Wash & Slice Eggplant
Step 2 - Rub with Coconut Oil & Garlic or Spices
Step 3 - Place on Tinfoil Lined Baking Sheet
Step 4 - Broil for 8-10 minutes flipping at the halfway point
Step 5 - Watch them carefully, there is a fine line between Browned and Burnt



  Simple CrockPot Beef
Step 1 - Oil, Salt and Pepper the 2LB Beef  and Sear it in a Hot Pan on all Sides
Step 2 - Place the Seared Beef and the Cut Veggies (3 Carrots, 1 Onion) in the Crockpot
Step 3 - Add 2 1/2 cups of Water
Step 4 - Cook on low for 8-10 Hours
Step 5 - The Apartment Smells Delicious and it's ready to eat.


1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Kel! Dat eggplant! Get through this weekend and you are going to be cruisin' I promise!

    ReplyDelete