Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Prepping for a Whole30

When I look back on this initial post, I hope to be amazed and excited about how far I have come and think fondly back to the beginning of the journey.  However, that first step to getting healthy is likely the hardest.... but that doesn't diminish the daily challenges you face along the way.  Bottom line it's all hard right now but it's worth it.  I plan to write a post about my Crossfit experience once I finish the Elements on boarding but right now for my sanity, let's focus on one thing at a time.  I have been flirting with healthy eating for the last 3 weeks, cutting out things that don't agree with me (beer) and focusing on things that provide nutrition (broccoli), however for the next 30 days I am about to take that flirting much further.

This first post will detail how I am preparing to do a Whole30. If you are wondering what that is, I refer you to the official website for more information.  No grains, No dairy, no sugar and wow no alcohol....what will I eat was my first thought.  The answer I found to be Real Food, meat, fish, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit and plenty of good fats.

On Easter Sunday after brunch with the family, I headed to Whole Foods to stock up on real food to eat for the week.  The plan was to prep the meals on Sunday for the week so that I had some easy go to deliciousness to make the transition easy.


I stocked up on vegetables, eggs, chicken, meat, fruit and delicious spices to add variety.  I have never really done a large shop at Whole Foods, with the exception of visits to the lake with my girlfriends or a quick pickup for dinner ingredients.  I will admit that cleansing my kitchen of things I wasn't going to eat and replacing it with all that you see above was therapeutic in a way.  On the eve of the Whole30, I made baked chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, Brussels sprouts in bacon fat, broccoli with coconut oil and garlic and chopped all the veggies for morning eggs.  It was time consuming but a great start.  

After finishing all of the cooking, I decided to order my favorite Thai dish (Pad Kee Mao) as a last supper, to be honest I wanted pizza but it was Easter Sunday and all the good places were closed.  The dish was delicious, Thai food is one of my favorite things on the planet and outside of a corner slice of Sicilian, I can't think of a better last meal.


Now that all the food is cooked and all the Thai is eaten, I am off to bed to mentally prepare for the first of thirty days.  I hope you enjoy the journey with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment