"Independence is happiness." - Susan B. Anthony
Monday always comes way too quickly for my tastes but with it, brings a fresh week to reflect on how fun the weekend was and new workouts/plans to look forward to. This past weekend was July 4th, the actual day was rained out due to hurricane Arthur but with a little postponing my parents annual party went off without an issue. I kept the eating on the 4th to a healthy balance, with food being spot on and wine being plentiful as I enjoyed time with some very old friends. Below are Theresa and Patti, two friends that I have known since 5th grade. Throughout the 25 years we have known each other we have definitely been through ups and downs but these ladies are awesome and know me quite well. It was great catching up, as it had been since October since we had all been together.
A theme for me during this healthy eating journey is that when the plans are exciting and about the people you are spending time with I have no problem staying the course and just sipping some wine and turning down other treats.
Since I was on Long Island for a majority of the week for my grandfather's funeral, the two days I did manage to spend in the city, I put to good use with some dating food prep. I did do some dating but I am way more excited about the coconut chicken nuggets and veggies I made, to bring with me out to Long Island for round 2. I am finding it challenging to not give in to people's pressure to eat what they are eating. Whether it is my dad wanting to order Chinese food, a date sitting across from me eating chips and salsa or my brother question everything I eat, I try to arm myself with some healthy options so that at least I have a fall back while I am answering everyone's questions about my eating.
Despite the 5th of July party being about all of the great family and friends I get to spend time with I chose to adopt a no rules/eat until you are sick mentality. The food at my parents party is all homemade and all DELICIOUS. Bring on the Mac & Cheese, Burgers with buns, Mozzarella and Tomato & everything else with cheese and top it off with alcohol and dessert. I believe I uttered the words, I am going to eat until I am sick....(preview) mission accomplished. Each bite was deliciously decadent, and I found my eyes to be bigger than my stomach with the crazy plate of food I filled. I forgot to take a picture unfortunately you will have to settle for the below mac and cheese.
For a little shy of 3 months, starting at the beginning of April I have been focusing on my health. This includes crossfit 3+ times a week, walking more and eating less junk. After eating my weight in carb laden deliciousness on Saturday, I really appreciated how far I had come already on the journey. I am down 16 pounds and while I can't see it day to day, I have before and current pictures to help remind me. The other thing that has changed from how I used to approach things like this, is Sunday I got right back to eating the way I normally do, without the 5th of July turning in to an all out weekend binge. Junk food is definitely addicting and I had to employ some willpower to move forward on the 5th but a day at Robert Moses beach with the girls helped make it easier.
Despite not feeling great from my choice to off-road my healthy eating, it was totally worth ever bite and sip as it was a wonderfully delicious day. As I sit here eating a quest bar (which does not taste that awesome post off road), and anticipating the week ahead I had a great weekend.
I am grateful for all of the wonderful people and experiences I get to have in life. I also forgot how much I love the beach, I live way to close to it to not be going much more often but first back to Crossfit to burn off some calories!




No comments:
Post a Comment