Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tuesday Top 10

"When you can't change the direction of the wind, adjust your sails" H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Next week will be 4 months since embarking on this healthy journey.  A girl at the box last night was talking about how running used to help her lose more weight than she has lost doing Crossfit.  While I have no idea if that's true, I told her that 80% of my weight loss has come from diet and a mindset change around what I eat.  On that note, this post is focused on 10 things I have found in the last 12-16 weeks that have helped me achieve my goal of fat loss and made not eating grains, soy or dairy more than tolerable, down right enjoyable.  They are listed in no particular order and my experience and thoughts are included free of charge, some of them are not edible but contributed to success regardless.

#1 -  Quest Bars.  I know what you may be thinking, this doesn't look like real food.  While it is made in a factory, it is what I like to consider a "clean cheat". Unlike all the other protein bars out there, they only have 1g of sugar per bar and are a nice alternative to eating junk food at work or as an emergency snack when you are out and about.  My favorites are the Chocolate Brownie and Chocolate Chip Cookie.  These bars are a delicious afternoon snack.  I brought one to an ice cream social at work yesterday, they definitely serve their purpose.  I find myself looking forward to these little treats but because they are low in sugar they don't create other cravings.

#2 - Epsom Salts.  Everyone is probably familiar with Epsom salts.  Someone recently asked me if I worried what Epsom salts were doing to my plumbing...as I renter I don't.  What I do enjoy is after a tough workout there is nothing better than a soak in this wonderful stuff.  I do it right before bed, it helps the muscles and puts me right to sleep.

#3 Stronger Faster Healthier Fish Oil.  Confession here, I do not love this stuff but it is supposed to be one of the better fish oils out there.  I have the chocolate flavor which basically tastes like a fishy chocolate bar.  I refrigerate it for better taste and try and take it either in the AM before work or before bed.  My skin has been softer lately but it's hard to attribute it just to this stuff, however it can't hurt. Here is the link if you are interested:  http://www.sfh.com/products/omega_3-oil



Zoodles!

#4 Priority Chef Vegetable Shredder - The amount of vegetables I eat is insane to me some days.  I recently got this peeler.  It makes all types of shapes and will turn zucchini in to zoodles which are basically fake noodles (but very REAL in that they are real food).  It has been a game changer in the kitchen.


#5 Headbands.  I simply love wearing a headband when I work out.  It keeps the sweat out of my eyes and really helps with my insane hair.  I am in the market for more as the ones I have are starting to get worn out.


#6 Coconut Flour.  My cravings have subsided for the most part, I don't crave junk anymore which is good because I used to eat a lot of it.  I do however grow bored of the same grilled chicken all the time.  Coconut flour allows me to liven it up and make chicken nuggets which are delicious and help keep my protein at an accurate level.


#7 Cider.  I love beer, I can't even put a past tense on that sentence.  However beer doesn't love me back and it doesn't contribute to fat loss.  I have been sticking to wine and vodka lately but find that a nice cold Cider out of a pint glass also hits the spot.  It's sugary so I don't do it all the time but I do find it to be a nice alternative.

#8 Greens First.  For the days where I just can't eat another bite of vegetables.  This can be mixed with water, gives you veggies and carbs in just a few gulps.  It has a surprisingly sweet taste but still reminds me of drinking algae so I don't do it every day.


#9 Coconut Aminos.    For all things Asian as a substitute to the ever controversial soy.  This stuff is delicious.  Sometimes I even carry it in my purse in case I am going to have sushi.




#10 Coconut Butter.  I know I said no particular order but this stuff is amazing, I may have saved the best for last.  I mix this with fresh fruit for a delicious snack. You can spread it on things it's pure heaven in a jar. I order it off of Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment