Monday, May 5, 2014

2 weeks, Day 14, 46% of the way there

It's Sunday morning, the 3rd prep day in the Whole30.  I have a few things to report and reflect on about this process.

I am 100% over eggs, perhaps it's 14 days of incorporating them in some way to my cooking but no matter how creative I get with them, I may need to take a break from the little protein packs this week.  I have poached them, boiled them, used them over easy as a liquid sauce over vegetables and frankly my love for them may have expired.  They are also one of the easiest things to order out, poached eggs for brunch are a safe Whole30 option.  One of the most important things I read in the whole30 material is to make sure you don't get bored, I definitely need to get creative this week.



I can survive a social event without drinking, and actually have fun.  I laugh a little as a write this sentence, as many people choose not to drink, and socialize with no issues.  Even before I turned 21, alcohol has always been such a part of fun, this has been an interesting experiment in how people react to you when you aren't drinking.  My friends for the most part have been very supportive and that has been great because without support this would be even more difficult.  The Derby party I went to had some delicious Shrimp Cocktail that I enjoyed without the sauce and I brought some Seltzer, which I added mint and a lime too.  It was not a Mint Julep but it was tasty enough to sustain a few hours chatting with friends.  My friend has a beautiful rooftop in Gramercy so that didn't hurt either.


Eating out is not easy following the Whole30, but I have found Sashimi to be my go to.  Most people will be game for sushi so it's not like I am altering the agenda too much and Sashimi is enjoyable.  I am a big fan of soy sauce which is not in play at this time, but the pickled ginger an wasabi suffice.




Sunday Prep day is easily becoming my favorite part of the week. I am starting to get an excellent routine down.  After a fun day of brunch and shopping with an old friend, I headed to Whole Foods to get the some supplies.  I ended up picking up some Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Chicken Breasts and Beef.  I also splurged on some Scallops to stave off boredom for week 3.  My justification is all the money I am saving not drinking or eating out so why not spend a bit more.  I also have tried to incorporate more fruit and sweet potato to make sure I am hitting my carb macro %.

What prep post would be complete without some images of the food:

Broccoli in Coconut Oil & Garlic


Brussels Sprouts in Bacon (my fav)


Baked Chimichurri Chicken Breasts

I think I have mentioned this in an earlier post, but with sauces off the table for now due to their large list of ingredients and often containing soy, gluten and sugar, I have been experimenting with spices.  Whole foods has some delicious options and the above chicken was made with a homemade marinade that I made with olive oil and spices.  




I am headed to focus groups for work tomorrow, for anyone who has ever attended a focus group it involves sitting behind a double mirror in a giant vending machine full of sugary and salty snacks.  I will do an separate post on how that goes.


Finally, surrounding myself with positive people who are supportive of this process and in to self discovery themselves has been extremely helpful.  Bring on week 3!







No comments:

Post a Comment