I successfully accomplished the Whole30! It was at times long, however as I look back
it seems like it flew by. It was an interesting self-experiment that I am extremely
happy that I did. It came in to my life
at a perfect time and I can say it definitely has made me stronger, happier and
healthier. Spoiler alert before I get in
to the details: I plan to still follow the eating suggestions but with a little
bit more flexibility. Now that I am at the end of the 30 days, I don't know what I plan to re-introduce first, I am in a strong debate with myself over dairy or wine.
Kelly’s Whole30 Results:
Skin: Completely clear of all
eczema and less dry than it has ever been in my life. This is amazing to me, I know that skin is the largest organ in your body but I didn't think the way I ate had such a link to skin health.
Weight: I lost 8 pounds during
the 30 days. I weighed myself right
before I started and today on the last day in the same outfit on the same
scale for precision. I am happy with the
8 pounds, but I actually think the composition of my body is changing with
Crossfit so I am not entirely focused on the scale.
Clothing fit: I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, I am down about 2
sizes in pants, and many of my work dresses and suits are fitting much better. I did take measurements but didn't take them again today but clothing fit is a good signal.
Energy: I can’t pinpoint
whether I had more energy but I will say that I didn’t have ups and downs or
afternoon slumps during the 30 days. My energy level was consistent.
Sleep: This is a huge bucket for me, I am a big fan of the
snooze button, waking up before my alarm clock most mornings and actually
feeling rested was impressive.
Stomach/Digestive: When people used to
say they felt bloated, I just used to nod my head as I never felt bloated
pre-Whole30 so couldn't empathize.
Around week 2, I started to realize that, that was because I ALWAYS felt
bloated and it was a huge difference to not feel that way.
Other: I can say that
throughout the 30 days I missed the idea of Alcohol but around the 3rd
week the craving for that and everything else I wasn’t eating just ceased to
exist. I often found myself sitting at a table
with baked goods or piping hot French fries and just not having an urge to eat
them. It was strange but awesome.
I expanded my cooking skills and knowledge. I now don’t see grocery shopping or cooking
as a chore but something I enjoy. While
the Whole30 limits what you can eat it doesn’t have to be joyless, you just
have to get creative with doing research and selecting recipes or new items to
try. I also found that I didn’t waste
any food as left overs were eaten at other meals and when you cook in bulk
there is no time for veggies to expire in the fridge. The final thing in regards to food is how
delicious fat makes food, from coconut oil, avocado or my personal favorite
bacon fat it helps to jazz up your veggies and make you excited to eat
them.
I found that continuing to log my food quantities on
Myfitnesspal throughout the Whole30 was helpful and important. It helps to monitor your macros to make sure
you are getting enough Carbs, Proteins and Fats and just overall not eating too
little or too much.
I have mentioned this in previous posts throughout the 30 days but having support from friends and family was so helpful. I happily answered any and all questions and curiosity during the 30 days and will continue to do so. Knowing that people are rooting for you to succeed makes each choice a bit easier.
Day 31 and Beyond: I enjoyed the
challenge of the 30 days; while it was restrictive it makes you mentally
stronger. Each positive food choice
propels you to keep the momentum going.
Over the next two weeks I am going to do a slow re-introduction of foods
that I am interested in adding back to see how they make me feel. I plan to maintain whole30 type eating (real
food) as I feel amazing right now and don’t want that to end but as I mentioned
I will leave room for non-whole30 items depending on my reaction to them during
re-introduction. Eating real food over
the last 30 days has had so many positives and very little negatives and I
encourage anyone looking to learn about themselves and their relationship to
food to try a Whole30.

No comments:
Post a Comment