Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Re-introduction post Whole30

"You gain strength, experience and confidence by every experience where you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

It has been one week since the last day of the Whole30 process.  I have reintroduced a few items here and there but for the most part my eating hasn't changed that much and probably won't change for the foreseeable future.  I still can't get over how great I felt during the 30 days, and I want to maintain that feeling as much as possible.  A few notes on the things I have reintroduced:

Alcohol - Whether dirty martinis or delicious wine, I was definitely missing alcohol during the 30 days.  I was definitely curious what would happen upon reintroduction, would it be like the first time I drank alcohol where I got super buzzed and sick all at once or would it just be as it was prior to the 30 days and a non-issue?  I spent the evening of Day 31 sipping on some delicious Sauvignon Blanc, perhaps three glasses in one sitting was an aggressive re-entry but from what I remember it was delicious and had only the minor side effects of a hangover the next day.  A few days later, over Memorial Day Weekend, I indulged in some Dirty Martinis and no side effects from that either besides a hangover of course.  One thing that I did notice in the week since the Whole30 ended is that I don't have as strong of an urge to drink.  It used to be a much bigger part of my mindset and now I can attend things are not drink if I choose to. While alcohol and healthy lifestyle don't go hand and hand a girl has to socialize so while I will continue to steer clear of beer for the time being, Wine and Vodka are back in play.



Diary -  The jury is out on diary in terms of how it makes me feel but I would describe it as "not good".  I put some milk in my coffee and while it tastes delicious the incremental tastiness was not worth the sluggishness and stomach ache that I felt shortly after drinking it.  I couldn't let this end with a little milk, so I went for my favorite cheeeeeeeeeeeeeese, and not shockingly same issues.  I won't overload you with the details of how I feel when I eat dairy but my forward plan is black coffee and cheese sparingly.  As I wrote that last sentence, I am shocking myself as cheese has always been a huge part of my day to day eating and even something I looked forward to.  Now I am not saying that cheese is on the no fly list, despite the fact that it may be causing issues, but it's on the watch list for now.

Other -  Eating out continues to be a bit of an art over a precise science.  I attended a pizza party birthday and had a salad with grilled chicken definitely not an equivalent substitution but focusing on delicious things you can eat helps.  The fun company also helps to make the salad taste more delicious, you make the event less about the food and more about the socializing.  For Memorial Day weekend, I tried to order fish out as much as possible when socializing, it's hard to control the oils you are ingesting but you can only make the best choices that you can.  Myfitnesspal.com continues to help me keep track and being serious but not obsessive keeps me sane.  In almost 90% of situations you can find an option to eat that fits your preferences.

Overall I felt really overwhelmed on Day 31, like I could eat or drink anything but at the same time how would it make me feel.  Taking the re-intro slow has been helpful to prevent an all out eating binge, while I won't be drinking every day, I will be drinking a few drinks a week but the more I read about grains and legumes, I am not in a rush to add those back in to the mix on a regular basis.








No comments:

Post a Comment