Friday, May 2, 2014

Hooray for Friday!

I am still in the evaluation phase of CrossfitNYC, I have 2 more weeks to try it out before deciding whether I want to continue my membership.  Last night I went to a different location on the Upper West Side to get a feel for whether that is a better option than the Gramercy location in terms of commuting.  All three of the CrossfitNYC locations remind me of the movie Fight Club as even though they have actual addresses there is always some secrecy to finding where you actually enter the facility.  Last night was no different there is no sign or signal that you are in the right place and I only figured it out by noticing that this Kettlebell was holding the door open.



The Upper West Side location has few benefits over the Gramercy location, it is however close to Whole Foods and I was able to take the bus home, which I always prefer to the subway if it's an option.

The workout was a partner workout, and there was only one other girl in the class.  I approached her quickly to see if she wanted to partner up, she said yes which was a relief.  My usual partner who I crossfit with only goes on Monday, Wednesday & Friday so branching out definitely had a level of uncertainty. Additionally, any workout that contains hand stand push ups is what nightmares are made of for me.  The workout was:

Partner Bradshaw 
10 Rounds Alternating
3 Hand Stand Pushups 
6 Deadlifts
12 Pull Ups
24 Double Unders

Thanks to scaling and determination to not come in last, I made it through the workout.  My partner was fantastic, she graduated the Elements course in January so it was nice to see what someone 3 months ahead of me is able to do.  She did the Hand Stand Pushups like they were nothing it was definitely inspiring.  For me in workouts like the above, all of the tasks are extremely hard but if you remember that you are only competing against yourself it makes it doable.  My partner also cheered me on throughout the rounds, I was exhausted by the end but I felt good about finishing.  


In addition to the crazy workout, it is day #12 (40% done) of the Whole30.  The timeline states that I should have boundless energy but also possibly cravings for things that I can't have but may not even have ever wanted even pre Whole30.  Examples of this for me would be Twinkies, Fast Food, Soda, things that I didn't consume normally but my brain wants now.  I do have a lot of energy, except of course when I first wake up, but I am not having any strange cravings, I guess we will see what weekend #2 brings.

I didn't do a large prep day for week #2, I prepped some veggies and shopped but I have been doing things a bit on the fly.  I would say that week #1 had meals that were more delicious and thought out, and I will likely try to get back to this for week #3. Last night after working out, I prepared some chicken nuggets whole30 style, they were a good alternative to the protein I have been eating.

It is starting to feel like I should have named this blog Coconuts and Crunches.


Coconut Chicken Nuggets
Step 1 - Chicken Breasts cut in to tiny pieces
Step 2 - Coat with Egg
Step 3 - Coat with Coconut Flour
Step 4 - Cook in an oiled frying pan on low
Step 5 - Devour 


Bring on the weekend!







  



1 comment:

  1. I like your animations and pictures you put on along with your blogging Kel :)

    ReplyDelete